Jan Brito from Pipriac in Brittany introduced the art of bookprinting in Bruges. In his native village a book printing museum has been founded : Museum Jan Brito in Brittany
Jan Brito, book printer in Bruges 1457. This wallpainting can be seen in the Gothic Room in the city hall of Bruges.
This building already existed in the 16th century. In 1637 three independant houses were united to one big mansion. From this period date, amongst others, the cross beams and the black marble chimney in what was the kitchen (now sitting-room next to the elevator). In 1859 the sisters of Saint Andrews founded in this building the renowned and still existing school "Sint Andreas Instituut". The last occupant of the house was "Baroness Susanne de Giey" (born as Parmentier). She left the house in 1991. In October 1993 the building was acquired by the families Verlinde-Olivera en Waelput-Arjona, who restaured the in the meantime "listed building" and rebuilt it into a hotel. It was an extremely difficult exercice in balance to provide a maximum of modern comfort and safety with the less transformations possible. It took more than a year and a half before all the involved authorities (ministries, city council, town planning, fire brigade, Flemish Tourist Authority) could agree with the plans. The hotel opened its doors on April the 28th 1995. " In August 2003 the hotel was extended with 4 suites in the former stables and house chapel.
Suzanne de Giey was born at Elsene, she was the 5th of the children and also the only girl in the family of Paul Parmentier - Maria Van Loo. Her grand-father Eugène founded the "Usines cotonnières de Belgique", with factories in Ghent, Zele and Tubize.